How do I use the Conferences interface as a moderator?
Once you have started a conference or joined a conference as a moderator, you can use the Conferences interface to moderate the course conference. Conferences uses web real-time communications (WebRTC) audio for users of Firefox and Chrome.
To read more about Big Blue Button, visit the Big Blue Button website.
View Conferences Interface
The conference interface contains a variety of tools to help you moderate your presentation. Each area of the interface is created within its own window.
When you enter a conference, the conference interface displays the default layout.
Resize Conference Windows
Each window within the interface is independent of the others. You can resize the windows to personalize your viewing experience. To change the size of a window, hover over the edge of a window until the cursor becomes a double arrow, then click and drag to your desired size.
View Conference Tools
In the menu bar, you can view the name of the conference . To easily manage your presentation, you can mute or unmute yourself , disable audio (if enabled) , share your video , and share your desktop . You can also view conference shortcut keys  and get help with conference options in the BigBlueButton website .
To leave the conference, click the Logout button  or close your browser tab or window. You can also choose to end the meeting when you log out.
Note: Unless you set up a long-running conference, the conference will end automatically once the last user has logged out of the conference. It may take a few minutes for the Conferences page to reflect that the conference has concluded.
If you set your conference to be recorded, you'll see a reminder notifying you that you can record the meeting. To close the window, click the OK button.
To start recording, click the recording button  in the title bar. A prompt will appear confirming that the recording will start. Click the Yes button. The recording button will display a red dot and green checkmark to indicate the conference is being recorded. Also, a recording notification  will appear in the title bar.
To stop recording, click the recording button again. The recording button  will display a black dot and no checkmark to indicate the conference is no longer being recorded.
You can start or stop a recording as many times as you would like during the conference. When the conference has concluded, the playback file will combine all the recorded segments into a single file.
When you start or stop a recording, you'll always be prompted to confirm the action.
The Users panel displays the users in the conference. You can manage users by hovering over their names. To change the presenter, click the Change Presenter icon . To mute a participant using a microphone, click the mute icon .
To change the settings for a user, click the Settings icon . You can kick a participant out of the conference or promote the user to a moderator.
If a user displays a user icon , the user has been promoted to a moderator.
Set User Settings
In the users panel, you can set user options in the Settings menu. You can clear all status icons, mute all users, mute all users except the presenter, or lock viewers.
If your institution has a premium account, with BigBlueButton, you can also create Breakout Rooms. For more information about this feature, please contact BigBlueButton.
In the Lock Viewers window , moderators have the ability to lock (restrict) viewers from having the following features:
- Public Chat
- Private Chat
This functionality helps moderators control the conference environment, such as locking private chat to prevent students from collaborating during a test.
In the Users window , the lock icon displays if a restriction has been set.
To set a status for yourself, click the Status icon , then select your status . You can set your status as raising your hand (such as if you have a question for the participants), happy, neutral, sad, confused, away, thumbs up, thumbs down, or applause (such as at the end of a presentation).
As the moderator or presenter, you have several options for your presentation.
- To add files to your presentation, click the Upload icon .
- To start a poll and gather feedback in your presentation, click the Start a Poll icon .
- To advance or back up your presentation, click the arrow keys . The number between the keys indicates the number of slides in your presentation.
- To increase the viewing size of your presentation, use your mouse to drag the triangle along the percentage scale .
- To make your presentation fit to the width of the viewing window (height will remain proportionate), click the fit to width icon .
- To make your presentation fit the entire page within the viewing window, click the fit to page icon .
- To view and use the whiteboard tools , hover your mouse over the presentation. You can also use the multi-user whiteboard to allow participants to interact with the presentation window.
The Chat window contains the welcome message for the conference and contains all the chat messages throughout the conference.
You can chat with all of the participants in the conference by typing text in the Chat window . To start a private chat with another participant, click the Options tab .
View Chat Options
To open a private chat, click the name of a user in the conference . The chat window will create a new tab with the user's name.
In the options tab, you can select the chat message font size  and set an audible chat notification . You can also download the chat transcript as a text (.txt) file , copy the chat contents , and clear the public chat history .
- Chat contents must be downloaded or copied before the conference has ended.
- Clearing the chat history cannot be undone.
Select Viewing Options
You can customize your conference experience at the bottom of the window. You can change the language displayed for the conference , select a layout , and set the conference to a full-screen window .
To choose from a number of preset layouts, click the Default Layout drop-down menu . Each layout generates a different view in the interface:
- Default Layout: displays the Users, Webcams, Presentation, and Chat windows
- Closed Caption: displays the Users, Webcams, Presentation, Closed Caption, and Chat windows (requires a moderator to manage Closed Captioning)
- Video Chat: Displays the Webcams window
- Webcam Meeting: Displays the Webcams, Chat, and Presentation windows
- Presentation Meeting: Displays the Presentation, Chat, and Webcams windows
- Lecture Assistant: Displays the Users, Chat, Presentation, and Webcams windows
- Lecture: Displays the Presentation window
- Shared Notes: Displays the Users, Shared Notes, Presentation, Chat, and Webcams windows (requires creating Shared Notes)
Setting a layout for your view does not affect the layout of your participants unless you also click the Send Layout button . Sending this layout to all users option only sets the layout as your preferred default for the conference; users can still choose to select another layout.