How do I create a Google Docs collaboration as an instructor?
You can start a new collaboration using Google Docs in Canvas. Google Docs allows you to add up to 50 users per collaboration, and all users can view and edit a document at the same time. However, a Google file may be shared with up to 200 email addresses including viewers, commenters, and editors. To alert invitees about collaborations, you can create course events in the Calendar.
Google Docs collaborations are separate from Google Drive collaborations. If your collaboration options include Google Spreadsheets and Presentations in addition to Documents, your course has enabled Google Drive collaborations.
- This lesson is for creating a collaboration in a course; when collaborations are created in a group, only group members and users with instructor-based roles (including TAs) can be selected as collaborators.
- Creating a collaboration is a course permission. If you cannot create a collaboration in a course, your institution has restricted this feature.
- When creating a collaboration you cannot link to a previously created collaboration.
- Each collaborator will need a Google account and will need to connect Google Drive as a registered service in Canvas.
- Google Apps for Education (integration with your school) works with Google Docs in Canvas. Please note, if your school email does not allow access to Google Docs, you will need to use a regular Google account (i.e. [email protected]).
- Email notifications for collaborations relate directly to the account used to connect to Google Drive.
The Google Apps LTI will no longer be supported starting June 30, 2024. Learn how to create collaborations using the Google Assignments LTI 1.3.
Click the Start a new collaboration button.
To create a collaboration document using Google Docs, you will first need to name the document , create a description , and select collaborators . By default, you can view the list of people in the course and can collaborate with individual or multiple users in the course. You can also click the Groups tab and collaborate with a group.
Click the Start Collaborating button .
- Google Docs allows you to add up to 50 users per collaboration, and all users can view and edit a document at the same time.
- Collaborators must have a Google account and will need to authorize Canvas before they can view the collaboration.
- You can add multiple groups to a collaboration, but all groups will collaborate in the same document. For group-specific collaborations, consider creating a new collaboration for each group or creating a group collaboration within the group.