What do the icons and colors in the Gradebook represent?
There are different icons and colors in the new Gradebook. Depending on how you grade assignments (manually or otherwise), you will see different icons or colors.
Icons and colors are simply gradebook indicators to assist you with course grading. All assignments count toward a student's total grade unless they are excused assignments.
Submission Type Icons
The following icons represent different assignment functions in the Gradebook:
- Discussion Icon : Graded discussion submitted, but not graded
- Document Icon : File upload submitted, not graded
- Filmstrip Icon : Media recording submitted, not graded
- Text Icon : Text entry submitted, not graded
- Link Icon : Website URL submitted, not graded
- Muted Icon : Assignment muted. When weighted assignment groups are not enabled, the total column also includes a warning icon notifying you that the grade you see differs from the grade the students see because one or more graded assignments are muted.
- Quiz icon : Quiz submitted, not graded (contains questions that must be manually graded, or an auto-submitted quiz score has been deleted and needs to be reassigned
Each grading type shows up differently in the Gradebook. Here you can see how each grading type is represented:
- Dash : No submission
- Number : Points grade
- Check Icon : Complete grade
- X Icon : Incomplete grade
- Letter : Letter grade (see also Course Grading Schemes or Account Grading Schemes)
- Percentage : Percentage grade
- GPA : GPA scale
- EX : Excused assignment
Note: In the Total column, you will see a percentage that represents your total grade at that time. Next to the percentage you will see the letter grade you have, based on the percentage.
Assignment Group Warning Icons
The following icons represent different warnings for Assignment Groups in the Gradebook:
- Blue Warning Icon : Notifies you that the assignment is part of an assignment group with no points possible and cannot be included in the final grade calculation
- Black Warning Icon : Notifies you that the final score does not include one of the assignment groups because the group has zero points possible (the warning will tell you which assignment group is affected).
You can correct these warnings by making sure a weighted assignment group has an assignment worth more than zero points, or, if an assignment is supposed to have zero points, adding another assignment with more than zero points to the assignment group.
If you created a Turnitin assignment, the Gradebook displays Turnitin score icons in the Gradebook. To view details of the score, click the icon and view more details in SpeedGrader:
- Gray icon : Originality report has not been generated yet
- Color icon : Originality report has returned a score; the color is based on the originality percentage score