How do I change the start and end dates for a course using the Classic Course Availability UI?
If your course participation options or course date fields display differently, your institution may have enabled the New Course Availability UI feature. The New Course Availability UI will replace the classic user interface in a future release. View more information about changing course dates using the New Course Availability UI.
By default, courses inherit term dates set for your entire institution. However, as an instructor, you may need to change the start and end dates for your course. Dates can be shorter than or overlap the term dates. For more information, view the interactive Student Course Visibility and Participation flowchart.
Limit User Participation Dates
You can set whether or not students can only participate in the course during the specified course dates using the Student Participation checkbox. Participation means that students can submit assignments, post discussions, upload files, or take part in any other action-based task within a course. If you limit students to only be able to participate during the course dates, they can accept the course invitation, access the course, and look at content, but they cannot fully participate until the first day of the course. When the course is concluded, the course is placed in a read-only state.
Course Override Dates
Course override dates are only created if the Student Participation checkbox is selected as part of creating start and end dates (both dates are required). If the Student Participation checkbox is not selected in Course Settings, students can participate in the course before and after the start and end date, and participation dates will always be determined by the term dates.
The Student Participation checkbox may also affect courses that have been marked as a favorite and display in the Dashboard. If a course includes an override date and the Student Participation checkbox is selected, students cannot participate in the course after the end date, and the course will be removed from the Dashboard.
Moreover, if the Student Participation checkbox is not selected, the course will still display in the Dashboard as a favorite course after the end date since the course still allows participation as an active course. The course will not be removed until the course is concluded via term dates. However, course dates will still determine the placement of the course in a student's Past, Current, or Future Enrollments list regardless of the term dates.
Restrict Course Access
If you do not want students to be able to view any content in the course until the course start date, Course Settings also allows you to restrict students from being able to access content. You can also choose to restrict all course access after the course has concluded.
Note: You can only change the course end date when your enrollment is active. Course dates cannot be changed once your enrollment has concluded for the course.
In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.
Open Course Details
Click the Course Details tab.
Set Start Date
Click the Starts calendar icon . Select a new start date for the course .
Set End Date
Click the Ends calendar icon . Select a new end date for the course .
- If your course participation options or course date fields display differently, your institution may have enabled the New Course Availability UI feature. View more information about changing course dates using the New Course Availability UI.
- End dates occur at precisely the minute they are set. For example, a course with an end time at 11:59pm will end at 11:59:00.
- In your end date, if you do not set a time, or you set the end time to midnight, a warning icon displays notifying you that the date prior to the set end date will be the last available day in the course. For instance, if the course were set to end January 13, the last full available date for the course would be January 12.
Limit Student Participation
If you do not want to let students participate in the course outside of the course dates, select the Students can only participate in the course between these dates checkbox . Selecting this checkbox creates a course override and overrides the term dates. Students can only participate in the course between the course dates, and the course will be in a read-only state outside the course dates.
This checkbox only affects student and observer roles; all other roles default to term access dates.
- Course override dates are only created if the Student Participation checkbox is selected.
- If the Student Participation checkbox is not selected in Course Settings, students can participate in the course before and after the start and end date, and participation will always be determined by the term dates.
- When the Student Participation checkbox is not selected, the course dates determine the placement of the course in the Past, Current, or Future Enrollments list for students.
Restrict Course Access
You may also be able to change student access settings to allow or restrict students from viewing your course before the start or end date. When selected, the course is inaccessible outside course dates. If the course dates are blank, these start and end dates apply to the term dates.
Update Course Details
Click the Update Course Details button.